Drexel University has oppened the following collections for research:
Department of Materials Science and Engineering records, 1950-2015 (Collection UR.04.041), 0.86 cubic feet
Drexel University’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering was founded in 1946 as the Department of Metallurgy. This collection contains ephemera, printed materials, and scrapbooks from the department between the years 1950-2015. There are annual reports dating from 2001-2013 and scrapbooks from 1950-2003 that include photographs of students and staff, many of which are labelled by name. There are also pamphlets and brochures that describe the department and its curriculum, posters for Philadelphia Materials Science and Engineering Day from 2012-2015, and other items.
Harry C. Rippel papers, 1943-2004 (Collection MC.00.088), 3.0 cubic feet
Harry Conrad Rippel (1926-2004) worked as a principal engineer at Franklin Institute Research Laboratory from 1952 to 1984 and was a leading authority on tribology, the study of friction, wear, lubrication, and the design of bearings. He studied mechanical engineering at Drexel Institute of Technology, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in 1952 and then a master’s degree in 1957. This collection contains the academic, professional, and personal papers of Mr. Rippel, spanning from 1943-2004, with the bulk of the materials from 1952-1984. The majority of the collection consists of Mr. Rippel’s work files from Franklin Institute Research Laboratories, most notably rough drafts and published manuals as well as published papers written by Mr. Rippel and others relating to tribology. Also included are his Drexel academic files, other work-related materials, and files from his personal life.